Friday, May 6, 2011

Mother's Day

This Sunday will mark the first Mother's Day since my Mom passed away. On September 25, 2010, my wonderful Mom lost her 13 year battle with kidney disease. She was (and still is) my hero. The battle she fought was not an easy one. For 13 years she underwent four peritoneal dialysis exchanges each and every day. Due to the disease, she had to have open heart surgery, lost most of her eye sight and hearing, and in her last few years, had little energy and significant mobility issues. However, she did not complain - not once. My Mom was a tiny little lady (5 feet tall, and less than 100 pounds) but had a massive heart and a high level of perspective that never once wavered. Though most people would feel sorry for themselves and be angry that they had to live this way, my Mom was constantly thankful for all of the good things in her life. Every single day I strive to find just an ounce of the perspective that Mom had. She honestly was the most positive, kind, caring, selfless, beautiful person I have ever met. I am so very fortunate to be her daughter. I can only hope that I can be half the woman that she was.

Tara, Mom and I

In the days since she passed, I often feel sorry for myself and wonder why I had to lose my Mom at such a young age; but then I hear her voice in my head reminding me of all the amazing things I have in my life that I should be thankful for. While losing her will surely be the biggest 'rip off' of my life, having her as my Mom was my greatest blessing. 

On my wedding day - just 6 weeks before she passed

This Sunday I will take some special time to myself to remember her. I will remember her warm smile, her soft skin and beautiful blue eyes, her soothing voice and all of the wonderful time we spent together. In 31 short years, I shared more with my Mom than most daughters do in a long and healthy life. For that, I will be forever thankful.  
  
Happy Mother's Day Mom! I miss and love you.

No comments:

Post a Comment